Work in Academic Teaching and Training Development Center was initiated in 2003. It holds preparatory courses for teachers in teaching methodology. Actual work in the center wasn’t implemented until 2006 and from then on its service has gradually increased. These training courses in teaching methods are a compulsory condition for teacher’s employment and promotion. The center also organizes courses for the technical staff in the university and for graduates of the Department of English in the Faculty of Arts for a whole year to prepare them as qualified teachers in intermediate and secondary schools.
In addition to courses and workshops, the center also holds conferences and symposiums on developing university-level teaching. The annual symposiums on Thinking held in 2009 and 2010 are good cases in point.
The center primarily aims at deepening the connection between the university and the society by updating and developing the educational and teaching knowledge, endorsing the relation between teachers and students and using modern means in communicating knowledge and developing thinking.
The Academic Teaching and Training Development Center is administratively linked to the president of the university and undertakes the following duties and tasks:
• Managing, organizing, and planning courses in teaching methods.
• Managing, organizing, and also preparing courses in methods of training Students.
• Courses in the improvement of the teaching staff capabilities in assessment and evaluation.
• Editing the mail of the center and attaching its related documents.
• Any other responsibilities assigned by the president of the university or the university council.
The center consists of the following divisions:
1. The Improvement Division
2. The Training Division
3. The Financial and Administrative Affairs Division