The year,1992, witnessed the foundation of Kufa Studies Center. It is regarded as one of the scientific research institutions which specialize in humanitarian studies. Its main concern is reviving the intellectual heritage of the cultural triad of (Najaf, Kufa and Heera) via scientific studies and researches. One of its many goals is preparing scientific environments and scientific research contact centers inside and outside of Iraq to obtain mutual understanding and comprehensive methodology related to research and studies about the Islamic Arab Civilization.
It is noteworthy to mention that the center holds different activities, such as specialized conferences and symposiums that contribute to the development of society, encourage socio-cultural work, provide qualified staffs, promote the universities scientific research and support serious efforts that care for reviving heritage and its modernization in Iraq.
The center is administratively linked to the president of the university and is responsible for the following duties and task:
• Organizing and preparing scientific researches and studies concerning the civilization of Najaf city and its archeology.
• Organizing and setting up conferences, cultural sessions, and seminars about almost everything concerning archeology, exploration, and history.
• Collecting documents and ancient scrolls then classifying them.
• Stretching out the range of cooperation and cultural exchange with all the different public sectors that are related to the human rights, environment, education, social conduct, etc.
• Editing the mail of the center and attaching its related documents.
• Circulating the mail over the sections of the center and over the faculties of the university.
• Any other responsibilities or duties assigned to the center by the president of the university or the council of the university.
The center consists of the following divisions:
1. Studies and Researches Division
2. The Archeology Division
3. The Documents, Scrolls, and their Classifications Division
4. The Civil Society Division
5. Financial and Administrative Affairs Division
• Studies and Research
• Manuscripts and Documents
• Civil Society