This lecture was presented by Prof Dr Hana Al-Aukyli, Dean of the Faculty of Arts
I have the honor to represent one of the universities in Iraq (University of Kufa) in Najaf, which is an extension to the distinguishing inherit Humanity.
Join grasp and coexistence in peace with others who are different in race, religion and creed, and deserves that launches project for peace between sects and nationalities varied, secured the principle of civil peace in the region ripple events threaten the fabric and installed.
The University of Kufa through this project aiming to create awareness collectivist society’s with its environment. Thus installing coexistence for peace and alliance of civilizations in Iraq expanded beyond the five thousand years alternated generations.
The culture of Alliance of civilizations and tolerance rooted in Iraq to the ancient civilizations of (Messobtemia) and ending with the Islamic era, which helped by geographical location .
The city of KUFA distinguished from the others cities in the region by its ethnic and cultural diversity. Several races such as : Persian ,Romans, Nabataean ,Assyrian and Chaldean have been lived together in this zone. It means that these cultures mixed and produced the famous achievements in peace and progress.
What is the perfect picture of religious and cultural dialogue that we want:
The collapse of the dictatorship regime in Iraq in 2003 helped Iraqi people to start new phase of dialogue.
The Najafi dialogue with the world began in 2009 based on the Qur’anic principle
“There is no compulsion in religion” and the words of Imam Ali (AS) the fourth Muslim caliphs “People are two kinds As your brother in religion or peer You in creation, “.
The diversity ethnic and racial of Kufa leds Imam Ali to take KUFA ,as capital of the Islamic state.
The necessity of dialogue in this critical periode of our history and the optimal picture of Kufa have encouraged the University at Kufa to present a global cultural dialogue which can be summarized as follows:
1. As place of dialogue of different components for a better understanding and solid peace.
2. Enrich the public thought through the process of cross-fertilization with cultures consisting of Iraqi society and to identify other non-marginalization and exclusion of any component through the media and intellectual and cultural communication.
3. Prevent conflicts and collisions that get through dialogue: dialogue has always been a principle of mutual media. So, holding seminars and others forms of meetings at our university. Dialogue between religions represent a social acceptance from different social and ethnic groups ….. in this way, Patriarch Marloas Raphael invited politicians to cohesion and unity and peaceful coexistence and unite and reject sectarianism and coexist peacefully in St. Joseph Church in Baghdad on 02.16.2013 as well as Muslim Scholars (Mr. Sistani and al-Saadi) had a prominent role in calming the differences sectarianism and peaceful coexistence through moderate speeches and guidance and calling for tolerance and dialogue among civilizations.
4. Religious and ethnic holidays represent a melting point for all communities.
Islamic holidays such as : Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha ,Christians Holiday such as : (Chrismas) and Easter, Sabian holidays such as (Almanda) are a holidays for all religions in Iraq. Also Kurdish festival of Nowruz. And other events are the moments shakings hands between different races and religions. The role of our university is to put these occasion to install a fretful and solid dialogue.
5. Resolve differences and social problems, especially among individuals of different factions legal action to dissolve their differences socially by the Elders of these groups and civil society organizations.
6. Activating the role of the state in the legislation of laws that protect the rights of individuals and minorities and ensure justice in terms of rights, duties and non-discrimination between the different segments of society whatever the justifications and reasoning.
7. Establishing centers for cultural alliance and coexistence in areas where sectarian and ethnic pluralism and religious and take advantage of the United Nations in the field of dialogue among civilizations and specialists in the States whose populations coexist peacefully despite their cultural differences.
8. Fighting against extremism by the equalization between the citizens regardless their differences .
9 formulating of a new conception of social security based on the respect of human rights.
10. Promote the principle of citizenship and loyalty for all individuals to the homeland despite of their community by fostering a spirit of dedication to work with the respect the safety and security of the homeland and of social solidarity.
Thank for your attention