The idea of establishing a specialized Informatics center for research and development was formulated in 2008. The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research approved in 2010 to activate the Informatics in a society living mentally, but not in an Informatics way. Informatics as a scientific concept is still far away from the majority of society because of the conditions of our country throughout the last decades, which have increased the gap between our community and other communities in the field of Informatics.
The crucial factor in the society life will revolve around knowledge and the core of the social system and the major social organizations of future society will be attracted to the university as a center of incremental knowledge. The effective participation in creating tools and software is the only way to make use of the information technology, and this can be done through improving and developing institutions that are capable of bringing forth knowledge and employing that knowledge for the good of the society.
The main tasks attributed to universities are: education, scientific research, and serving society. Informatics plays a very critical role in achieving these three important functions, starting with the development of methods employed in Informatics up to the stage of developing software programs that contribute to the process of serving our society with different ways. The Informatics assumes a crucial part in social and knowledge change.
The Informatics center aims to create a creative scientific research system based on innovation, market and community needs, and holds responsible for finding solutions of every scientific and applicative problem in the IT field; Moreover, the center works on improving the knowledge and scientific level of individuals and institutions in order to create an advanced Informatics society.
The center’s mission focuses on the following:
1. Presenting scientific research in the IT field and creating a great-developed base of researchers.
2. Meeting the application system needs of university , market and society.
3. Qualifying scientifically rehabilitated personnel to build a developed base of specialized staffs.
1. Providing technical consultations for employing, systemizing, and taking advantage of IT by institutions and authorities that are concerned with making and fostering decisions.
2. Encouraging and observing the scientific research in the IT field.
3. Developing and updating teaching methods and instructional materials by using IT
4. Collaborating with various institutions and authorities in conducting researches, field studies, and training in the IT discipline.
5. Developing advanced software programs in the field of expert systems.
6. Holding training courses on various specialization fields and improving technical skills of the University of Kufa Personnel and those from society.
7. Developing methods of e-learning and conducting researches in this perspective.
8. Enhancing scientific awareness and applicative research about using computer techniques and IT at the different governmental and institutional sectors in social, economic, scientific, and researching areas. Moreover, raising the efficiency of employing them via pursuing training courses on various fields of computers and IT.
9. Making scientific agreements with counter part universities and institutions in the local, regional, and international levels in order to exchange experiences and doing researches in relation to specialization fields of advanced computers and IT.
10. Founding specialized and advanced research units within various science areas of computer technology and IT.