The department was established as a result of the vertical and horizontal expansion in the postgraduate studies at the University of Kufa. The numbers of postgraduate studies opened in the university are approximately twenty studies. It undertakes many responsibilities and some of the departments many tasks include organizing and following up on the progression of the higher studies at the university.
DIVISIONS WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT
• Data base and Electronic Archives Division
• Supervision and Observation Division
• Registration and Admission Division
• Scientific Promotions
• The origination of new postgraduate studies in the different scientific and humanitarian specializations within most of the university’s faculties.
• Increasing the number of admitted students and graduates in the postgraduate studies with a notable increase compared to previous years.
• The admission of the postgraduate Database Division.
• Updating the postgraduate studies and introducing computer systems in performing work which leads to the necessary speed and accuracy needed to accomplish the work.
• Using programs and electronic systems in the department.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
• Intake and admission
• Registration, deferment, status upgrade… etc.
• Students supervision
• Thesis evaluation
• Students’ performance (academic records)
• Development and improvement of study programs and courses
• Implementation of courses including practical courses
• Outsourcing services
THE UNIVERSITY’S FACULTIES WHICH INCLUDE POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
• FACULTY OF JURISPRUDENCE: grants the Master’s and Doctorate degree in Islamic Law and Islamic Sciences.
• FACULTY OF MEDICINE: grants the Doctorate degree in (Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Psychology and Medical Physics) the Masters degree in (Microbiology, Biochemistry, Psychology and Medical Physics, Pharmacology, Internal Medicine, and Pathology and Forensic Medicine) and the Higher Diploma in (General Surgery, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Ophthalmology, and Diagnostic Radiation and X-ray).
• FACULTY OF EDUCATION FOR GIRLS: grants the Doctorate degree in Geography and the Masters degree in (Arabic Language, Geography, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, History, and Mathematics).
• FACULTY OF ARTS: grants the Doctorate degree in (Philosophy, Arabic Language, Geography, and History) and the Masters degree in (Philosophy, Arabic Language, Geography, History, and English Language).
• FACULTY OF ADMINISTRATION AND ECONOMICS: grants the Doctorate degree in Economics, the Masters degree in (Economics, Business Management, and Accounting) and the Higher Diploma in Hospital Management.
• FACULTY OF SCIENCES: grants the Doctorate degree in Biology and the Masters degree in (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics).
• FACULTY OF ENGINEERING: it used to grant the Masters Degree in both Mechanical and Civil Engineering but currently it only grants the Masters degree in the specializations of the Civil Engineering department.
• FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE: grants both the Doctorate and Master’s degrees in (Plant Preservation, Gardening, and Botanical Gardens’ Engineering).
• FACULTY OF LAW: grants the Masters degree in law.
• FACULTY OF MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCES: grants the Masters degree in Mathematics in addition to the Higher Diploma for those who are not qualified in Mathematics.
TYPES OF GENERIC SKILLS FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS:
• Good communication skills
• Teamwork and leadership
• Time management
• Critical thinking
• Lifelong learning
• Problem solving
• Professional ethics
• Community engagement
• Interpersonal skills
• Degree with thesis (Research)
[Over 44 fields of study]
• Degree without thesis (Coursework)
• High diploma
[6 fields of study]
• Masters program:
• A good scholastic achievement at the Bachelor degree
• Work experience, computer efficiency and English fluency are taken into consideration
• PhD program:
• A masters degree or its equivalent
DURATION OF STUDY:
• Masters: 2 years
• PhD: 3 years
• Diploma: 1 or 2 years