Based on the importance of dialogue in general, and the dialogue between the doctrines and religions in particular, the Faculty of Education at the University of Kufa, in cooperation with the scientific centers in the Scientific Hawza, specifically the Institute of Mentality Studies, intends to hold an inclusive conference involving elites and minds from various parts of the globe. It centers on three key problems:
1. Religious pluralism
2. The impact of religion on human life
3. Sectarianism; a regional crisis and the aliment of sedition
The strategic cognitive objectives, whose impact we seek diligently, are: the maturation of a knowledgeable vision that reflects the originality our our historical and cultural heritage, consistency with the originality of our enlightened Islamic thought, opening the door for a serious critical knowledgeable dialogue that serves the humanitarian objectives in peaceful coexistence and ideological and religious tolerance, focusing on the essence of religion and its civil and positive dimensions in people’s lives, and discussing in a serious manner the sectarian crisis both historically and cognitively. This is all for the sake of identifying the prospects of processors and the solutions that can be adopted by the leaders and decision-makers.
Our vision focuses on the expansion of the participation circle in the central preparatory committee to include national and knowledgeable figures from outside the university, particularly our Sunni and Kurdish brothers as assistants from the start, for an inclusive picture of a conference that seeks conversing and understandability between the sects, doctrines and religions.
Blasting off from our knowledge of Najaf history and its impact on unifying words, healing the rift, believing in dialogue and respecting others, we have located good ground to hold the conference in this city with the support of the religious authority and cultural institutions in the Religious Hawza of Najaf. Thus, we strive to convince the Al-Azhar Institution and the major Christian churches to attend representing their highest status. Our focus will be on the qualitative side, and on the scientific and cultural figures whom we expect to enrich the conference with constructive visions, thoughts, ideas and theories.
The Faculty of Education at the University of Kufa, in collaboration with the Institution of Mentality Studies, adopts the conference seeking to make a quantum leap in the form and content of conferences, while aiming for the conference to conclude with contents that will add new material to our data bank concerning the development of visions and improvement of the national decisions’ level.
Originality, Enlightenment and Creativity are the wedges we seek for constructing this conference on, and through which it will be the pillar to call for religious tolerance and peaceful coexistence, in addition to emphasizing on dialogue as a means to discovering the truth and as an approach to dealing with crises and scientific problems at an international level and in our Islamic and national surroundings.
Themes of the conference:
1. Religious pluralism: It intends to investigate the concept of religious pluralism dimensions from both the religious and school of thought perspectives. This concept, thus, allows a diversity of membership since religious pluralism has become one of the major problems of man’s life in the contemporary world. As a result, it proposes to solve the problems of pluralism to make it rather a source of spiritual richness to the human world.
2. The impact of religion on human life: It studies the effect of religion on man’s life. Religion is considered a necessity of the spiritual and intellectual structure which enhances the harmony among people regardless of their origins and races.
3. Sectarianism; a regional crisis and the aliment of sedition: This theme is meant to deal with the roots, images and negative effects of sectarianism which led to the emergence of crises in various parts of the world. Consequently, there is an urgent need for studying this phenomenon so that to restore the balance of relations among human beings. This goal can be fulfilled by forming spiritual and humanitarian tightened societies that respect the human’s life without considering the sectarian affiliation.
Objectives of the Conference:
1. Addressing the crises and problems that the world is facing- with regard to the level of religious pluralism- by conducting scientific research methods in order to establish successful solutions which are based on scientific foundations that depend on neutrality, experience and efficiency.
2. Revitalizing and developing the scientific researches in the field of religious pluralism by means of tackling its different forms and problems, and studying it globally so that to introduce results and adequate outcomes that serve the culture of dialogue. Moreover, such researches establish an atmosphere of peaceful coexistence that renounces the conflicts which are based on religions and ideologies.
3. Pushing the efforts to establish permanent study centers that investigate the religious pluralism and the culture of dialogue at various universities around the world. Such centers would help the affected regions and countries to promote and recover the effects of religious intolerance.
4. Establishing permanent workshops between the University of Kufa, on the one hand, and international universities, international centers, and the institutes of Arab and foreign countries on the other hand, in the field of religious pluralism and dialogue of civilizations. Such objective can be fulfilled by hosting and sending delegates that represent different religions and schools of thoughts during different scientific, social, and cultural occasions that are being hosted all over the world.
1. Research papers indented for participation must be solely written for the conference subject matter and have not previously presented for participation.
2. The organizing committee must be informed via e-mail in advance so that you can proceed writing. Full-typed papers (Microsoft Word that do not exceed 2500 words) must be sent by 15th Jan. 2014.
3. The supreme committee will gladly cover the travel and accommodation expenses of those whose papers have been accepted by the scientific committee.
4. Please send your papers via email at: [email protected]
Should you have any inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us at the conference website: http://www.uokufa.edu.iq/conf/rpdc/
Please accept the warmest greeting of the Supreme Committee of the Conference.
On behalf of the Supreme Committee
Prof. Dr. Akeel Abed Yaseen
President of the University of Kufa