The Nutrition Department of the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Kufa held a seminar entitled (The Food Production Issues in Iraq)
The seminar was held in the presence of the Dean of the Faculty, Prof. Saadoon Ajeel, along with many from governmental and private Food manufacturers as well as official from the agriculture directorates of Babil, Karbala and An-Najaf, and the Secretary of the Farmers’ Organizations Union of Najaf.
The seminar discussed the possibility of using the tomato paste factories of the Ministry to provide the department with a factory in order to improve the students’ potentials, in addition to serving the society by improving and training the workers of these factories.
The seminar recommended studying the regulations and laws regarding the payments and loans and discharging taxes then connecting the study to the possible economic production and income. It also included observing the shortcomings of these regulations and attempting fixing them in the light of the present laws and regulations, and concentrating on the strengths before joining the International Trade Organization in order to let the national outcome improve in both quality and quantity. It also recommended facilitating all that is needed for the reclamation of new lands for agricultural and industrial usage studying the possible investment obstacles, as well as providing the needed governmental aid for the Food production factories of both governmental and private. The Conference also included the following recommendations:
– Controlling the market by putting a plan that ensures the equal and just competition between the local and imported products.
– Organizing the importation to limit the imported products in order to encourage the local productions.
– Establishing a mutual market between the private and governmental sections that handles the distribution of agricultural products to ensure the rights of both of Farmers and manufacturers.
– Providing the raw materials that are essential for continuous industry as well as activating and improving the laws of the agricultural products.
– Applying Quality control laws and activating the mutual researching cooperation between the productive factories and the faculties and institute of the same specialty.
– Strengthening the potentials of the Nutrition Departments by establishing within them Food Production Factories so that they can improve the students’ capabilities as well as being able to train the workers of other faculties.